A healthy & safe home for your children | Gas safety

I’m a complete and utter worrier. I worry about everything. I think worrying comes naturally after you become a parent – you think of all the bad things in the world and try to shield your children from being harmed by them. It’s just human nature really! A little while ago Andrew, his mum and step dad fell victim to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, caused by gas work carried out on their boiler by an unregistered, and therefore illegal, engineer. Luckily, they realised before it had any lasting harmful effects. But it made us realise just how important gas safety is – particularly when you have small children. It’s also why I’ve partnered with Gas Safe Register to spread the word about only employing registered gas engineers.

Our story

Not long ago, Andrew, his mum and his step-dad had been feeling lethargic, experiencing headaches and feeling a little dizzy. Andrew noticed his boiler wasn’t working one day and arranged to have a Gas Safe registered engineer out to repair it. The engineer discovered that the boiler was leaking CO, and therefore shut it off completely. On further inspection, it became apparent that there had previously been an inadequate service carried out on the boiler – by an unregistered, illegal gas engineer.  We’re so thankful that the problem was discovered quickly as CO can be lethal. It could have been a lot more serious. Andrew and his family now ensure that they book in an annual gas safe check on their boiler to make sure it is working safely and efficiently, and for peace of mind.

So, what is CO poisoning?

Unsafe gas appliances can produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause serious long term health problems such as brain damage, and can even be fatal. Confusingly, CO symptoms are similar to those of flu, food poisoning, viral infections and fatigue. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake it something else. The symptoms you need to look out for are headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, loss of consciousness. The best thing to do if you suspect CO is to quickly open all windows and doors, turn off the gas supply and seek medical attention. Even the lowest levels of CO can be really harmful.

Keep your family safe

  • As it is recommended that you have your gas appliances inspected annually, why not add a safety check to your list of things to do when planning your spring clean this year?
  • You can find a registered engineer in your area by calling Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or by visiting their website
  • Check an engineer’s ID card to be certain they are qualified to carry out work on your gas appliances
  •  If you suspect that someone is an illegal fitter or are worried about gas work carried out in your home, please contact Gas Safe Register
  • If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999

*This is a sponsored blog post*

15 Comments

  • http://www.londonmumma.com says:

    How scary, we can at times can fall to neglect with these important things, especially as we all lead busy lives, but it takes 20-30 mins for the inspections to be carried out and very worth it

  • http://meandyouraisingtwo.blogspot.com.cy says:

    Oh gosh, this is so scary, and such a scary subject. We have a monitor fitted now, but I still stay vigilant. Really important subject to raise awareness of, thank you. x

  • http://www.agentspitback.com.au says:

    This is so scary! It’s so important to have a registered engineer do the checks. Better safe than sorry! Thanks for linking with #bigpinklink

  • www.thatmummyblog.com says:

    How scary! It’s definitely not something that’s on most people’s ‘to do’ lists, but really should be! Thank you for raising awareness x

  • www.mamawilkos.com says:

    This is so scary, and worrying as I know people don’t get their boilers checked regularly. Ours is checked ever my year and I still worry about things like this.

    Glad they are all safe now.

  • Emma says:

    What a scary story and something which can happen but is fairly simple to protect yourself against. Thanks for raising awareness! x

  • Diynappywieldingbride.wordpress.com says:

    How scary. Something you never thing will happen to you! Feel so much better that we have a working alarm.

  • Abi - Something About Baby says:

    This is such a scary story, I’m glad the family were OK! We rent so have to have a carbon monoxide detector in our flat and I’m so grateful for it. Such a tiny thing can make a huge difference, I think everyone should have them.

  • Debbie Roberts says:

    Hi Jodie, Andrew and his family were so lucky to have realised the boiler hadn’t been working or this story could have been so much different. It highlights the importance of using registered engineer and of getting a CO alarm.

    Thank yo for linking up with the #MMBC.

    xx

  • Jade - Raising the Rings says:

    Oh how scary! It’s one of those things that people really need to be more aware of. We need to get our CO2 monitor out of the box for sure x

  • Http://www.motherhoodtherealdeal.com says:

    How scary just shows how aware we need to be!

  • Catherine @ Story Snug says:

    This is a really scary story. So glad that everybody was ok.

    #MMBC

  • http://www.mothersalwaysright.com says:

    Oh my goodness this is so scary! We have a carbon monoxide detector as it’s just not something I’d ever want to gamble with. Terrifying.

  • five little doves says:

    Gosh that’s so scary! It isn’t something I really think about but clearly I should! Thank you for a reminder! #bigpinklink

  • Emma islandliving365.com says:

    Oh my goodness, what a scary story. It really reinforces how the possibility of CO poisioning is very real and something that we all need to be aware of.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

CommentLuv badge